[dba-Tech] Laptop Recommendation

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Jun 3 09:27:20 CDT 2004

Hi Rocky

> "Be careful - as a developer you spend more hours at the machine than most
> other people."

> Yeah, this I know.  And I really don't like laptops.  Don't like the
> keyboard and hate the mouse thingy.  And the screen is too small.  So I
> don't think I'll be doing too much development.  I'm thinking of it for the
> occasional business trip, to take to the client to do the dog and pony show,
> stuff like that.

Same here, I prefer my old IBM PS/2 keyboard but I must admit that it
can be very flexible to be able to bring the machine anywhere and
still being able to do serious work. As for the screen size, I can
live with 15" and high resolution; the NX7010 has a 15.4" wide screen
and you are a little like a naughty kid if you complain about that.

> How much does that NX7000 cost?  Why do you like ThinkPad?

It is like IBM has some extra feeling for how to build a laptop. The
keyboard is one thing - nice feeling, non-crazy layout, and no or
put-away Windows keys - and then the machines have this strange
additional cruddle and crump "value" which is hard to explain. Other
things are small details like the built-in keyboard light on some
models.

We sell these machines but don't stock them. For clients like you we
recommend a trip to the local pc supermarket where you can have your
hands on a variety of models while experiencing the total
non-expertise of the sales people trying to sell you whatever.

As for the pricing in the US, I have no idea. Don't forget when
comparing prices the warranty from the manufacturer. Here HP and IBM
both have a very high service level; you won't get this from everyone.

/gustav