[dba-Tech] Unstable Wireless Netowrk

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Mar 6 22:38:08 CST 2004

On 6 Mar 2004 at 19:29, Rocky Smolin - Beach Access S wrote:

> I've got four machines hardwired in a wireless router and one wireless.  The wireless has been working pretty well for several months.  Suddenly it's become very unstable, dropping in and out, being available and then not, at random.
>
> Could be the wireless router, I suppose getting flaky.  But I'm wondering if some windows update might be responsible, requiring something new that I'm not aware of.
>
> We're not using encryption.  Could another wireless network in the neighborhood be causing some problem?
>
> Anyone know of anything like that?

More likely to be interference than anything else.

It's starting to happen more and more as people put in there own
systems in  close proximity to others.

Quote from Linksys:

"Any device operating in the 2.4 GHz spectrum may cause network
interference with a 802.11b wireless device. Some devices that may
prove troublesome include 2.4 GHz cordless phones, microwave ovens,
adjacent public hotspots, and neighboring 802.11b wireless LANs."

Any neighbours set up recently? Can you change channel on your
network?

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg