[dba-Tech] For Rocky - Wireless Networking

Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software bchacc at san.rr.com
Fri Mar 26 10:27:16 CST 2004

Just a follow-up - I finally bit the bullet and ran a wire down to the
office that was on wireless.  It didn't turn out to be so hard.  So I'm off
wireless altogether, now.

I think it has a place, but I just couldn't get it to work reliably.  And I
believe it was from interference with all the other wireless networks around
here and the school which is two doors away.  Various wireless networks kept
popping up on my dialog box.

I was considering moving to 11g but I think after a year or two the whole
neighborhood's going that way so I'd have the same problem.

The guy who ran the wire suggested we could move the wireless router into
the garage, closer to the box with the antenna, but I said string the wire.

Now the connection is fast (even though I had to put it through a 10Mbps hub
because I ran out of ports on the router), reliable, and my wife is
ecstatic.

Rocky