[dba-Tech] WORD:Retreiving lost documents

Kath Pelletti KP at SDSOnline.net
Wed May 5 18:18:38 CDT 2004

Francisco - many moons ago there was a function in Word to put the text the user was working on (ie. in RAM) in a document called .asd (where asd = auto save document).

I have no idea whether this still is the case but it would be worth searching for any files with an extension of .asd.

Kath
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Francisco H Tapia
  To: Discussion of Hardware and Software issues
  Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 8:35 AM
  Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] WORD:Retreiving lost documents

  Thanks,
    Unfortunatly for my co-worker he never once clicked save once... and
  thus his lesson is gonna be learned HARD and HARD.  This is one of those
  lessons' that once it's happend to you, you tend to become extremly anal
  about saving and having backups.

  in word (according to the help) if you hit save at least once you invoke
  auto-save. wich will create an .asd file in the application data\word
  directory and allow you to auto-retreive the file should for whatever
  reason have a crash.  I don't know what happens when a person purposely
  hits "NO" in the "do you want to save" prompt.

  :| oh well ...

  --
  -Francisco