[dba-Tech] Phonographs to CDs

Drew Wutka dbatech at wolfwares.com
Fri May 14 19:30:48 CDT 2004

I am assuming you are porting the record player into your computer's sound
card.  They make software packages that will record the input or output of
your soundcard into any format that you want.  Since you found a 'simple'
solution for actually recording them, why not simplify the process of
recording them.  Instead of burning them directly to CD, why not record them
to your computer as MP3's.  That gives you several freedoms.  One, most
turntables allow you to put multiple records on them, and when the one
playing is done, it drops the next.  That gives you a 'cycle' to allow you
to run several at a time, without 'monitoring' it and without swapping
CD-R's on your computer.  Two, if you are recording them to MP3's, you have
a few advantages.  First, in CD format, you will probably only get 1 LP per
CD.  Maybe two, and maybe less then 1.  Either way, you are going to be
wasting space on CD's.  Not too mention that CD's take up room too.
However, a CD ripped to MP3 format is going to run 3 to 5 megs per song.
Even if you are averaging high, that would be 5 megs per song and let's say
15 songs a pop, you are only talking about 75 megs per LP.  That would be
~75 gigs per 1,000 LP's, so for 3,000 LP's, you're talking 225 gigs. This is
a high estimate too, I just looked at the folder I just ripped my Queen's
greatest Hits CD too, and it has 17 songs, and is only 67 megs.  So I would
hazard a guess that you could get 3,000 LP's onto about 150 to 200 gigs.
Then again, aren't LP's 45 minutes a side, which would be 90 minutes an LP,
so it would be larger then a CD, and probably closer to 75 megs a pop.

Anyhow, just looked on eCost.com, and they have a Maxtor 200 gig drive for
$149.  Their 100 pack of CD's is $29.  So to get 3000 CD's, you're talking
$870.  Instead, get a large hard drive, and buy a bunch of CD-RW's.  Though
not all CD players will play CD-RW's.  However, if you buy a MP3 player (cd
version), you can put close to 10 LP's on one MP3 cd.  Going the direct CD
route is going to cost you at least 4 times as much.

On top of that, you get a REALLY nice perk.  By putting everything into MP3
format, on a single hard drive, you have a single backup source.  Want to
make it 'safe' for posterity, just buy another drive, and copy it over.  One
big transfer, instead of trying to copy 3,000 CD's.  Grin.

I will tell you that logistically speaking, you're biggest obstacle isn't
going to be the copying process.  It's going to be the 'information
recording' process.  CD's are recorded on internet CDDB's, based on their
individual ID's.  LP's don't have that, so there is nothing available to
automatically populate the list of songs on an LP.  Their may be databases
out there with the 'tracks' on an LP, that you could have Access
automatically rename the MP3 files into their appropriate album and song
names (of course, you'll also have to find something to 'split' the LP MP3's
into individual songs, honestly, that actually wouldn't be too difficult,
you could probably make you're own 'splitter' in VB, though they probably
have something like that available.)

Drew