[dba-Tech] Phonographs to CDs

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sat May 15 07:36:40 CDT 2004

How to do it:

1. Get a cable with two standard RCA jacks on one end and one little
jack (I forget what they're called, but I mean the jack that fits into
Line-In on your sound card). The way my room is laid out, the sound
system is on the opposite side of the room from the computer, so I
needed a 20 foot cable. Depending on the type of amp you have, you may
have AUX out female jacks or not. If not, you can use Tape Out.

2. Download Audacity, which is free, or if you're serious, spend the
money and get SoundForge 6.0.

3. Play anything (even the radio) on the sound system to ensure that the
Out is hitting your sound card.

4. Fire up Audacity or SoundForge to ensure that you can capture said
input.

5. Done.

Like I said, brain-dead simple. I thought it would be more complex, and
require a pre-amp and/or additional hardware. But my ancient Bose amp
(circa 1969, with actual tubes!) works just fine.

Arthur