[dba-Tech] MS-Word template location missing

Mike Tope mike.tope at dsl.pipex.com
Thu May 27 16:07:01 CDT 2004

File Locations correct within Word ? Mine are of course correct but they're
not related to these users or these documents. There's a multitude of users,
and I have no desire to go round checking them out. And a multitude of
documents, but I've got hold of one to try out on my C: drive.

I know that with my template file locations, it ends up attached to
normal.dot. Then I set my User Templates path to the new location and the
document ended up attached to the Master.dot in that location. I saved, it
looked like it worked but remember that's manual.

You can't edit the Tools Templates AttachedTemplate thing back to the old
location so I reverted to the submitted copy of the document.

I run a "dir /s /b c:\temp\*.doc > docfiles.txt". I import that file into
Access and VBA runs through each document opening it in Word, then checking
the AttachedTemplate. I put in a line at the beginning to set my user
templates location. I can pick on documents that are attached to the new
server template location\Master.dot. The old server name is never seen from
VBA.

But I had some trouble getting the document to save. WdApp.Documents.Save or
WdApp.ActiveDocument.Save just didn't do it. I've now set a Document.Saved =
false just before. I could see the file was being saved. But when I opened
it in Word afterwards the attached template is still the old servername.

I put a bit in, if the attached template path is equal to the new server
name\path\master.dot, set the attached template path equal to the new server
name\path\master.dot. Sounds pointless, but does step through. Didn't
achieve it either.

But here's where it gets tricky now. Word is opened up visible from Access.
I can step into the code, and check out what Word sees. It comes up with the
old server name\path\master.dot in the attached template box (although VBA
reports the new one). I can see that changes to the new one when it is set
by the code. I can save the document myself and see Word doing it. The file
date is updated. The code saves the file too, and still I can see the new
server name in the box. Finish off the code, open Word, load the doc, and
it's back to the old server name.

Am I suffering from highly underintelligent disk cacheing ? I switched off
and came home. Tomorrow I will see whether it has in fact successfully
changed anything.

Thanks for any ideas anyone may have.
Mike Tope