[dba-Tech] Network Issues with Win98SE

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Mon Nov 8 08:00:16 CST 2004

Hi friends,

I am so unsure of myself with networking!  I did fine getting the WinXP
boxes up, but, oh boy!

Here's the situation:  I recently took the leap to buying wireless
broadband service from my ISP.  Setting up the WinXP boxes was easy.  I
have two desktop and one laptop Win98SE machines to set up, and have
already learned that they will not work for wireless (why not?), but
should work with a cable connection from my wireless firewall router.
 Climbing through what literature I have on Win98SE networking, I am
quite frustrated and so far lost.  I am hoping Francisco will see this
sad plea for help and tell me what I must do.  Someone said I need to
create a VPN for Win98SE, and I started down tha road, but got lost.

Once I get rescued on the Win98SE boxes, I have to tackle the laptop
Win2KPro box.  It also has options and settings I don't recognize.  It
was happily accepting a configuration for peer-to-peer hook-up, but not
infrastructure hook-up.  I found it was missing two required dll files
and I have downloaded them.  I will plop them into place and see if that
fixes things.  But, I may be back with more plaintive pleading.

Thanks for any help at all!

Best regards,
Tina