[dba-Tech] Converting LPs into digital audio

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Nov 17 09:15:39 CST 2004

Grandmaster PvG,

So, you were a disco DJ AND a radio DJ? My time in radio was the most fun I ever had at a job. I did some dance DJ work, too, but it was mainly for weddings and reunions.

Thank you for your detailed answer. When I recorded those voice tracks off of LP almost four years ago, I did, indeed, use my laptop, so your warning about the audio quality of the laptop sound card is right on. At the time the laptop was over three years old, too.

Since we played those old Whamco LPs to death while I was in radio, I wasn't too concerned that the quality wouldn't be very high. The LPs were cut in 1982 and I didn't try this analog-to-digital routine until 18 years later.

I appreciate all the advice, though I'm not sure what to do about the pre-amp. When I made my original recordings, my turntable was connected to my receiver, and I used the audio-out from the receiver into the line-in on my laptop. Would that be sufficient do you think? Or should I not use the receiver?

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI