[dba-Tech] Converting LPs into digital audio

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Thu Nov 18 17:17:01 CST 2004

They have double-sided turntables now LOL.

Actually I have two turntables: one is a Panasonic Technics and the
other a classic Oracle turntable with no actual turntable, but rather
three rubber pins that support the disc. Way back when, it cost $1K CDN.

As to recording vinyl to CD/DVD, it turns out to be almost effortless.
First you need a cable that will extend from your Audio OUT on your amp
to your EXTERNAL IN on your sound card. In my case I needed to buy an
"unsplitter" that turned the two cables into one at the input end. That
was about $5 and the other cable (25 feet) was about $7. After that it's
a no-brainer. Plug it in, with a disc in place and your software ready
to record. Drop the needle and that's that.

The down side is that the whole side of a vinyl record is understood as
one track. But I don't care about that. I just wanted to capture the vinyl.

A.