[dba-Tech] Just loaded Linux for the first time

Mark Breen mark.breen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 07:10:42 CDT 2004

Hello Francisco,

Thanks for your reply.

I was not expecting or even demanding of Linux to be proficient or for
it to do everything that XP can do.

I was becoming more and more curious about what this Linux thing is.
Having loaded a version of it, I just came away with the impression,
that it was three or four generations behind what we currently have.

I have the perception that there are hundreds of tools out there, and
many, many flavours of Linux, and obviously different ones are
preferable to different people.

My main question was however, do you guys, my peers, consider it also
a few generations behind where we are with XP, Office, VB.Net, SQL
2000, ADO and IE with SP2.

What I was really, really curious about was, whether there are some
people that can give examples of where it beats using the more common
OS's.

I am not fanatical about either, and I have to say, I have been
intrigued by Linux for a few years, but I was really disappointed when
I first played with it last Sunday night, albeit for an hour or two
only.

I will look at Knoppix once I click Send :)

Mark