[dba-Tech] Desktop recommendation

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Oct 19 14:55:58 CDT 2004

>I found a local shop with a flat rate $75 bench fee for building/fixing
PC's.

That's a steal and well worth doing.  I definitely understand the "no time
to do it", on the other hand it just keeps getting simpler and simpler, it
really does.  With all the plug and play (less and less pray), installing
the hardware is just getting down to nothing.  Plus the new motherboards
have everything built in to the MB itself.  I kid you not, the new machines
I built have exactly ONE card, that being the video card.  All the disks,
sound, USB, etc is all just right on the motherboard.  You pop in the CD
with the drivers and load it up and you are done.  Why do you think the
systems from Dell are so cheap?

http://folding.stanford.edu/