[dba-Tech] Desktop recommendation

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 12:06:03 CDT 2004

Workstations: from the quality of laptops and pc workstations that
i've run accross, their longetivity and w/ laptops more so, their heat
related problems.  Contacting customer support and the tech's
inability to keep up w/ the problem.  It is obvious most tech support
now-a-days reads from the prompters, but the customer support at HP
had a much more difficult time figuring out that when I said, "when
the laptop has been powered on for 15 minutes, the keyboard and
mousepad will lock up and the system is unresponsive.  the clock on
the lower right stops moving, and the screen is forzen at it's
previous state."

re: Servers, the delays we get for maintaining out HP server, the
delay P&G used to get for doing routine maintenance on their HP ux
server(S).  When the techs come out, they do a good job and the server
is back to tip-top-shape.  but we need less maintenance calls for the
IBM and DELL servers.

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:54:44 -0500, John Bartow <john at winhaven.net> wrote:
> Francisco
> What are basing this on?
>
> I have had little to complain about regarding HP - I would venture to
> guess - less so than with Dell.
>
> My biggest complaint with HP - a pet peeve really - is that they continue to
> use those irritating little Compaq six-point head screws instead of phillips
> head screws. Maybe they're just clearing the stock of them but I HATE those
> screws! I carry a bunch of phillips/standard straight head screws with me
> and throw those other things away every chance I get!

-Francisco