[dba-Tech] Questions about 2 Unusual Databases

Mitsules, Mark S. (Newport News) Mark.Mitsules at ngc.com
Wed Oct 27 12:50:42 CDT 2004

Arthur,

I believe situation one has been done to the nth degree from a brute-force
approach and to just a somewhat lesser degree through an AI/brute-force
approach.

Situation two however I have contemplated many times on my own, but from a
different perspective.  All marketing blitzes and airwave playtime aside...I
have always pondered why exactly one song can become a hit, and others do
not.  In my pondering I wondered if simple waveforms can explain patterns of
acceptance or non-acceptance.  Taken a bit further, does the individuality
of the human ear come into play?  Is it possible that one group of people
"like" a certain sound because their ears "hear" the sound differently.  So
my thoughts were...if I could take all the billboard hits over the past
years and perform a waveform analysis, would similar patterns emerge?

Mark