[dba-Tech] MS Excel COM Add-In in VB.NET...

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Sun Oct 31 19:43:06 CST 2004

Hi All.

I've just finished converting three Excel Add-ins (.xla) from VBA to
VB.NET -> COM Add-ins.

What I can say?
VS.NET 2003 is a great tool!

Last summer I tried to combine two MS Excel add-ins into one, spent quite
some time but in the end I found that the result can't be predicted - the
more code I put into combined VBA Add-in for MS Excel the less were the
chances that this code be stable at all. I stopped that efforts last summer
because combined MS Excel started to gpf, it wasn't even possible to open
VBA project....

And with VB.NET it all works!
The add-in uses DAO, ADO, several legacy COM components, MS XML Core
Services etc. - no problem so far...

To convert all that stuff totalling about 20,000 code lines took two+
working days...

I've packed all that into four .DLLs, they all communicate one with another,
there is no duplicated code....

MS forever!

Shamil