[dba-Tech] Calculator

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 10:44:44 CDT 2004

yeah, never do an Upgrade.  Visit your local software shop or
Symantec.com and get yourself a copy of Ghost, backup your system (can
be done to CDs, DVDs or HDDs), and THEN, run a FRESH install of
WindowsXP.

If you want you can also try a simple test by simply installing
WindowsXP (no upgrade) to a seperate location on your hdd, (so instead
of WinNT, use WinXP or WinTEST etc,) and then check your calculator.

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:25:15 -0500, Steven W. Erbach <serbach at new.rr.com> wrote:

> Dear Group,
>
> I'm almost too embarrassed to ask about this. I recently upgraded my Windows 2000 w/s to Windows XP Pro. All went pretty well except for a couple of programs that wouldn't work unless I logged in with Administrator rights.
>
> One thing that I hoped would be "fixed" when I upgraded was the Windows calculator. In Windows 2000 I'd start up the calculator to translate from decimal to hex and back. The standard calculator looked and acted just fine; but when I would switch to scientific the calculator window would get a bit taller to accommodate the extra rows of keys, but it wouldn't get any wider. And no scroll bar to see what's on the right side of the calculator. It would still work. I could type in a decimal number, hit the Hex button, and Ctrl-C the result into my HTML editor, say. But for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the darn thing wouldn't let me see the whole scientific calculator.
>
> Now that I've upgraded to XP the calculator still acts in the goofy fashion. Does anyone have a clue as to what I can do to cure this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve Erbach
> Scientific Marketing
> Neenah, WI
> 920-969-0504
>
> "There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't." - Author unknown

-Francisco