[dba-Tech] Slow transfer rate

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Sep 15 10:16:38 CDT 2004

Doing the bench on my desktop disks prompted me to bench my laptop.  OH MAN,
something is wrong.  3.5 mbytes / sec average transfer rate, 4.0mbytes max.
I thought it felt a TAD slow.

I posted a not on two forums for my lap top and at least one user is seeing
close to 10 times that rate.  Does anyone know what could cause that
dramatic a slowdown?  The bios is very basic and does not supply any
adjustments at all.

I upgraded the machine to Win2K Pro but don't really know if the slowdown
occurred at that time or not.  I have checked and the processor is running
at full speed (Athlon64 at 3.0g) so it isn't a "on battery" kind of issue.