[dba-Tech] Microsoft Works

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 10:08:58 CDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:58:21 -0600, Mackin, Christopher
<cmackin at quiznos.com> wrote:
> A co-worker of mine came to me with the remnants of his daughter's machine that had crashed, but her had backups of the main files.  These files are Microsoft Works files from an old Windows 98 machine (No further details on version or specs).  The files are .wps and .wks files (Similar to Word and Excel).  The .wps files open fine in Word, but the .wks files are "Unrecognized Format" followed by jibberish when it opens.
>
> Does anyone have enough knowledge of Microsoft Works to recommend how to possibly convert the .wks files to Excel?

Office 2K (and later probably) have convertors for Works files. They
are not part of the default install, so you will need to add these
features.

I don't recall exactly where they are in the installer, so you will
need to hunt around.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"