[dba-Tech] Need New AV -- Suggestions?

Ron Allen chizotz at mchsi.com
Thu Aug 4 01:47:17 CDT 2005

I've been using -- no, make that "I've been a fairly passionate user
and advocate" -- of TrendMicro PCCillin AV for some years now.

Over the past several months, I have repeatedly, as in at least 4 or 5
times, had the system tray icon for PCCillin Internet Security
suddenly and with no apparent cause simply disappear. When this
happens, when I go to update the pattern file manually it tells me
"that function is still initializing". Since I don't check my system
tray every time I sit down, and have absolutely no desire to, I could
conceivably go for weeks or months before noticing that my AV is yet
again not receiving autoupdates and yet again I have this annoying
problem. I have been around and around with Trend support, and each
time they have either fixed the problem with a patch or it has
mysteriously "gone away" after I contact them.

I've about had it with this. Whatever is causing this problem should
have been fixed long ago. I've worked with them on at least four
separate times and I think it's been more than that. I'm reasonably
sure that I'm not the only one to be experiencing this issue, since
they always seem to have an answer, yet I can't locate this error
condition addressed in their kb. They never give me a definitive
reason for why it's happening, and although they fix it, some way,
each time, it keeps coming back. My theory is that their definitions
update contains something that causes this, and when my instance
auto-updates I get the bad file again and the whole cycle starts over.

Be that as it may, I'm ready to change AV. I want to go with a
professional company that has regular updates and decent software that
will only minimally impact my system. I'm leaning toward McAfee at
this point, and am pretty well set against Norton. I won't use AVG or
Panda because they each totally trashed my system a few years ago;
once burned forever shy.

Any comments about McAfee? Any suggestions on the best AV software
available now?

Thanks for any advice.

Ron