[dba-Tech] The Three Doors Problem

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Aug 25 21:20:15 CDT 2005

On 25 Aug 2005 at 20:04, Arthur Fuller wrote:

> I am the host of a TV program and you are the guest. This is the deal: there
> are 3 doors. Behind one of them is $100 million. Behind the other two are a
> dead catfish and a dead pickerel respectively. I invite you to select a
> door. You choose any one of the three: call it x I open another door, and
> say, Had you selected door y, you would have won a dead catfish. Now, would
> you like to stick with your original choice or switch to the other door?
> Does it matter? If not, why not? If so, why so?
> There is a clear answer to this problem. Who is going to be the first to
> come up with it?
> Arthur

Ah, the good old Monty Hall puzzle.

Strictly speaking, you need to qualify it by saying "I open another door
which I know contains a dead fish and show you the contents"  If you could
open the money door by accident, it is a different situation.

Anyhoo, the answers is:
Yes it matters, you should swap.

I won't give the reason now  'cause it's a spoiler.   I know some peole
will not agree with me and will go to great lengths to explain why I am
wrong :-)

--
Stuart