[dba-Tech] Task Manager locked

Kathryn Bassett kathryn at bassett.net
Thu Aug 25 22:52:12 CDT 2005

In the other thread about my husband's missing desktop, I'm not having any luck, even with a paid call with McAfee. I'm not finished with them, but meanwhile I thought I'd address another issue. (Windows 2000 pro). When I cnt-alt-del, I get the usual dialog box, but the Task Manager is dimmed. If I cnt-shift-esc, I get a message saying that the Task Manager has been locked by Administrator. However, I didn't lock it, so whatever messed with my desktop must have done it. Only one user, the admin, and no password.

So, how do I unlock it? I can only boot into safe mode with command prompt. From there I can run Explorer. So what do I look for in Explorer to unlock the Task Manager, or what command in dos mode do I run to do it?

--
Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
"Genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"
kathryn at bassett.net