[dba-Tech] The Three Doors Problem

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Aug 26 06:35:39 CDT 2005

And it is exactly because of the "intentionally and knowingly taking away
the non-winning door" that the logic works.  If the host "just picks a door"
(which wasn't apparent from the original post) and the door "just happens to
be not the prize", then the problem changes.  By the fact that that the host
had knowledge of and intentionally chose a door with no prize, the problem
does change, and I understand the answer.

By the way, the way you just worded it it still wouldn't make a difference.
Only if you knowingly took away doors that you knew did not have a prize
would your answer be correct.  If you just randomly chose which doors to
eliminate then the problem is back to 50/50 because in fact, you may very
well have eliminated the prize as well (in fact probably did).

>I open another door, and say, Had you selected door y, you would have won a
dead catfish.

No where does that imply that he intentionally chose a door with no prize,
he just opened (picked at random) a remaining door, looked at the contents,
and announced the contents of that door.

Not that I would have gotten the answer anyway, but I do understand that by
his using his knowledge to pick a door with no prize he affected the
outcome.

http://folding.stanford.edu/