[dba-Tech] W2K won't explore/run things normally - FIXED

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 3 13:16:44 CST 2005

There is a way to save these refresh or restore dll's in a seperate
directory so you don't need the CD
You may have done this previously.
I think it is in the I386  directory, I would have to look up.
Also if infected don't forget to run these methods in Safe mode

One trick used by trojan writers is to place a  DLL as an a "A­lternative
Data Stream" (ADS) on your System32 directory , so you can't "de­lete" the
file using the regular way . plus the DLL component injects itself into
the EXPLORER
 process making it invisible in the Task Manager process list.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#streams