[dba-Tech] Replace Hard Drive

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Fri Feb 18 13:16:48 CST 2005

I am going to replace the 20G HD on my laptop with a faster 60G HD.  Based
on past experience I'd like to avoid spending the next 2-3 days doing it.

1) XP Pro has a utility called Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.  Can this
be used to copy the entire HD as is (~15 G) to another PC or to disk?  If
this practical?  I have an older PC 233 Mhz, 384 M memory, 40 G HD which
might be useful.

2) There are program like Laplink PC sync or PC upgrade Commander (or
others?) which supposedly can help.

3) I've heard of 'ghosting' my HD.  Is this a feasible mechanism?

So - if you're tired of reading about the poor state of health care you
might take a shot at this question!

Thanks!

Dan Waters

ProMation Systems