[dba-Tech] Norton Ghost 9/Systemworks 2005 (was: Replace Hard Drive)

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Sat Feb 19 12:22:55 CST 2005

Oops, I should've re-subjected this message.

John B.

I bought System Works Premier 2005 a couple months ago - it includes Ghost
9. (BTW Symantec recently bought PowerQuest) Also Partition Magic is now a
Norton product but is not included in System Works.

-One Button Checkup is improved and no longer causes lockups (Whew-who! Who
would've thought it would in the first place?!)

-System Doctor (I don't use this resource hog)

-Speed Disk seems the same.

-Unerase Wizard seems the same.

-Disk Doctor presents messages on start-up that most people would get a bit
nervous over. Such as "Disk 1 doesn't contain a valid bootable partition..."
and gives the option to fix it. I believe this is the age old conflict
between Partition Magic and Disk Doctor which you would have thought
Symantec would correct since they own both now. Also if you choose
automatically fix disk errors it tells you it can't do it until you reboot
and then that takes quite a while to do during boot up (I think it might use
XP's built in disk utilities anyway. Problem is that is does this regardless
if there are any errors to fix or not. If you don't check the automatically
fix it runs fine. If you have errors you then have to redo it and tell it to
fix on reboot. Logic is not included in this sequence. It should scan first
and if and only if it finds errors - inform you that it can't fix without
rebooting and ask if you wan to schedule the fix for the next reboot.

-System Information seems the same.

-Wipe Info seems the same.

-Norton Registry Editor is gone. I used to use it because it had a find and
replace function and a nice bookmark function.

-Password Manager (which now a separate product but integrates into
SystemWorks once installed-I got it free with my order) is a waste of time.
It works great at first but now it rarely does the fill-in for me and has
all my passwords encrypted so I can even manually type them it fails to do
it for me. Probably the result of some conflict with AV or some other
security product but my Google toolbar fill-in feature works all the time so
I don't think this is an acceptable excuse.

-Norton Ghost (I forget now-who did they buy this from yet?) 9 can now read
Drive Image images. It seems that it is fast becoming Symantec's personal
backup product too. I wonder how this will stand given they just bought
Veritas. A tech at one of my subs recently mentioned that Ghost 9 doesn't
create bootable CDs. I haven't verified that but that may be a limitation.
(I believe in the past that you had to run Ghost from a floppy disk and it
loaded drivers that let you access a CD drive.) Ghost 9 includes Ghost 2003
on the CD for Windows 9x, Me, NT, Linux and DOS. It can't read Drive Image
images.

-Norton Cleanup basically replaces Clean Sweep (which they inherited when
they bought Quarterdeck) and Norton Web Cleanup includes tools to remove
cookies urls, cached files, temporary files and MRUs. You can figure it can
easily to not erase certain items. It no longer includes tools to cleanup
duplicates files, dlls, screensavers, fonts, and other assorted
collectables.

-Norton Go Back (which they bought from Roxio) version 4 which look much
improved but I haven't installed yet because I didn't have room for its
stash area. (I recently added another hard drive so I will be able to
finally). I never much to complain about in the past version so unless they
"broke it" it should be fine.

-Norton Anti-virus 2005 which is a very good product that I don't have
installed right now due to testing CA's EZ anti-virus.

It includes a few Extras Features. Generally these are items that they
recently purchased, are thinking about purchasing or haven't figured out how
to incorporate into their UI. 2005 includes: System Optimizer _ basically a
"Windows Tweak" type of program; Process Viewer; Performance Test;
Connection Keep Alive; Check Diagnostics (from Smith Micro) for hardware
testing. (Most larger PC manufacturers have a derivation of this included
either on their system utilities CD or as a download anyway.)

Norton Utilities seems to have been forgotten in Symantec's acquisition
frenzy. Vcom's System Utilities work much better as a replacement. However
the other components in System Works are all fine products with a few quirks
here and there. I do think they should include Partition Magic in the suite.

John B.