[dba-Tech] cannot access Workgroup

Lembit Soobik lembit.soobik at t-online.de
Mon Feb 28 06:39:50 CST 2005

since a few days I have this problem with my network (some Win2k and some
WinXP, no WinXP Service Pack 2):
- I cannot access 'Workgroup' on most PCs, on some I can but it shows only
the PC itself, no others.
- I can however search ALL of the other computers and put a shortcut of any
folder into the 'Network' and access anything I want this way.
- I could live with that except for this case:
- - I had to change the location of an Access97 Backend and cannot now
relink it with the table linking manager in Access, because it will not show
me the shortcuts in the network.

- I have turned off Zone Alarm: no effect

- I have not found how to turn off the WinXP firewall, but since there are
two Win2000 PCs on the network and they dont behave better, I doubt that
helps

- cables, hardware, router, switches must be ok, since the connections all
work when I do a Search Computer ?

any idea where to look?

thanks
Lembit