[dba-Tech] keylogger ?

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 19:23:42 CST 2005

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 16:50:29 -0000, Mike Tope <Mike.Tope at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> List
> A couple of times lately I have discovered BlazingTools Perfect KeyLogger on
> our family pc.
>
> Windows 98; I have now disabled Internet Explorer (in ZoneAlarm) but it
> wasn't in common use before. Anyone know how the keylogger gets in there ?
> And how I can stop it ?

I'm not sure if BKL is spyware or not. I have it installed on my PC
here at home, on purpose.

You are lucky that you have found it, it can be installed in a very
stealth mode. Different exe name, not it the task list, won't show up
in msconfig or any other startup locations.

> So just because the keylogger files are dated two days ago doesn't
> necessarily mean it's running. If you go to their website (BlazingTools are
> quite open about it - http://www.blazingtools.com/bpk.html) you learn that
> it can run completely invisibly so I can't be sure whether it's been
> activated or not.

Press CTRL+ALT+L, I believe is the default combo and see if the makes
something show up in the system tray, or at the very least a password
dialog.

> I just ran Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D and neither detected it.

Ad-Aware should detect it, it did on my system. Although, I told
Ad-Aware to ignore it from further scans. If you open the Ignore List
in AdAware, it may be listed there.

> It's a problem because my wife won't do the shopping if she thinks her
> credit card number is being logged.

And that's a bad thing? :)

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"