[dba-Tech] Software Firewalls

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 08:58:17 CST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:38:41 -0500, Mitsules, Mark <Mark.Mitsules at ngc.com> wrote:

> How often do you "clean house"?  Since I'm heavily into gaming/video & audio
> codecs/demos/beta drivers/etc.  I usually start to think about a fresh
> install at around the 7-10 month mark.  At that point I usually buy a new
> hard drive and start all over.  I keep all my old drives...just in case;)  I
> upgrade my video card about every 18 months, my CPU about every 18-24
> months, and am averaging a new complete system about every 4 years.  I just
> finished assembling my newest rig over the holidays, but since we were out
> of town for most of the time, I haven't had a chance to load the OS yet.  I
> must admit that I went just about all-out this time...it is definitely
> worthy of boutique status.  If anyone is interested in the gory details,

I  start thinking about re & re every 12 months or so. I usually get
around to it every 18 months or so.

I usually just backup my data and format and start over. The hardware
very rarely changes. I've got a USB 2.0 add-in card that I've have
sitting around since this summer that I haven't installed yet. So that
should tell you how much time I've got for working on my PC :(

> I'll post the components.

I'd love to see what I wont't be getting anytime soon :-)

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"