[dba-Tech] wXP virtual memory question

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Wed Jan 12 11:33:42 CST 2005

Arthur,
I set the pagefile size to 1.5 to 3 times the RAM (depends on how much RAM -
for instance I don't set a 3GB pagefile on those systems with 1GB RAM but on
a system with 128MB of RAM (yikes!) I would set it to 3x128. I also prefer
to have the pagefile operating on a separate disk from the OS and
applications generally a file storage disk. And as someone else mentioned -
defrag the drive before moving it there and set the min/max sizes the same.
By doing that you prevent fragmentation.

Also there is a possiblity of a security issue by leaving a static pagefile
as is when shutting down. I have to think that this is one of the most
obscure security issues I have dealt with. There are settings you can make
to clear the pagefile while shutting down. It doesn't actually remove the
pagefile.sys it clears the contents of it. I recommend that you don't do
this unless you're in a high security situation. It takes a long time to
shut down when this is set.

OTOH A few months ago I read an article by one of the big hitters (those in
the class of Russonvich(sp?) and the like) I'm sorry I can't recall where I
read it but the author made the case that XP handles virutal memory much
better than the older NT versions and that typically we should let it do it
for us. I'll try it sometime when I have a big load to process and have some
time but until then it's just someone else's opinion and the most I'm taking
from it is that I don't have to fret if I forget to manually set it the way
I used to have to on NT 3&4.

On the hibenate issue. I have seen it work great on system and totally screw
up on other systems. IMO you use it if it works and you have the need
otherwise fo-getta-bout-it!

John B.