[dba-Tech] Workstation identification

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Jan 17 12:13:45 CST 2005

Hi Steve

But then you just need to log which workstation the user logs into -
piece of cake on a Novell network ...

If the users can login in from abroad, you could retrieve the IP
address but it would be the outside address of the front router not the
workstation's.

/gustav

>>> erbachs at gmail.com 17-01-2005 18:22:21 >>>
Gustav,

>> If your system is secured by login and authentication, the userid
and a timestamp should be all that is needed. <<

And there's the rub. This application uses SQL authentication, not
Windows authentication. Thus anyone can log in from any browser
anywhere using one of the valid user IDs and passwords. That's where
my curiosity about gathering workstation-specific information came
from: to construct a profile of the w/s that did the modifying.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI