[dba-Tech] Office 2003

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jan 23 13:44:17 CST 2005

You have to look at the features in whatever version of whatever product you
are talking about to see if the version contains the features you want.
>From the Amazon page:

The Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 is basically identical
to their standard Microsoft Office 2003. It contains:
- Excel 2003
- Outlook 2003
- Powerpoint 2003
- Word 2003

What it does NOT contain (compared with the professional and small business
versions) is Access 2003, Publisher 2003 and the Outlook 2003 version that
has a Business Contact Manager - none of which would be particularly
necessary for students.

Microsoft stresses that this version of their Office 2003 is only for
non-commercial use. You qualify for this edition so long as you are 1) a
full- or part-time student enrolled in a K-12 institution, 2) home-schooled,
3) taking at least 6 credits at an accredited college/university, or 4) a
full- or part-time faculty member and work 20+ hours at a school.

It retails at the Amazon price, which seems like a lot until you remember
that the Standard version is sold for over two hundred dollars more. There
is no discounted upgrade price for the academic version, but this is still
probably the best price you can get. AND you can use the software on up to
three computers, so long as someone in your household qualifies (for
instance, if you have a child who qualifies for this version, you can upload
it onto your computer as well and use the software even if you do not
qualify for the discount).

If you are a college/university student, I would suggest visiting your
school bookstore before purchasing this software. Microsoft offers academic
volume licensing through a lot of colleges/universities, where you can get
the same software for up to 70% off if you qualify. Check out [Microsoft
website] for more information.

http://folding.stanford.edu/