[dba-Tech] Dearly Departed Databases (R.I.P.)

Kathryn Bassett kathryn at bassett.net
Mon Jul 18 16:50:17 CDT 2005

You guys have been getting into *old* databases, so I thought I'd mention my favorite old one. It was flat, but it was so easy to use.

In 1981, I bought my first AppleII, and started using AppleWorks. I had thousands of records of various kinds in the database portion of the program. Didn't use the spreadsheet portion much, but used the word processing a lot. After I upgraded to the AppleIIgs, I eventually added a "PC Transporter" card to run dos on the Apple Iigs. The only reason I was hesitating about switching to a PC was that I could not have funtioned without AppleWorks. Then I found out about SuperWorks which was a lookalike/workalike of AppleWorks, made for dos machines. And there was a program called CrossWorks that hooked the two machines together to port AW to SW via null modem. Had absolutely no problem with SuperWorks using my data, and used that right up til the time I joined AccessD to start learning Access. Actually, I still have a couple of databases in SW, that I never got around to moving into Access.

BTW, I still use CrossWorks to move clients' Apple Family Roots data from the AppleIIgs to the PC for the PC Family Roots.

--
Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
"Genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"
kathryn at bassett.net