[dba-Tech] Auto Power-up doesn't work

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Jun 7 07:35:19 CDT 2005

Lembit,
No specific help. But there is one bit of info I scavenged from the age old
debate about whether or not to leave the computer running 24/7 or to power
it down when not in use. If you have left the computer on for an extended
period and then decide to power down for extended periods the hard drive R/W
heads may become stuck in the "parking zone" where it subsides during the
power down process. This is apparently due to accumulations built up on the
head that occur from running 24/7.

I do not know if its true or legend but I did have one old PC which ran for
5-6 years 24/7. At that point it had a bit of a problem whenever it was
turned off for even a few moments but one night someone turned it off and
that was it. It would not start up the next morning. I didn't put much
effort into checking as to why because it was so old and slow (and was
basically just acting as a dumb terminal to a Unix server.)

HTH
John B.