[dba-Tech] Open File Dialog Box Call Fails

Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software bchacc at san.rr.com
Wed Jun 22 09:26:12 CDT 2005

Dear List:

I have a client who's selling an app I wrote where I use the code from the ADH to call the file open dialog box:

Declare Function adh_apiGetOpenFileName Lib "comdlg32.dll" _
 Alias "GetOpenFileNameA" (ofn As tagOPENFILENAME) As Boolean

I haven't worked on the app for several months and it's been very stable until a couple of weeks ago when this call began to fail with no error message.  Just didn't open the dialog box.  Then it failed on another computer.  Then on another one.  Now no computer in his place runs this api.

I went over to his place and stepped through the code and sure enough it goes to the api call and then goes right through the api call without opening the dialog box.

If we try to drop the common dialog control onto a form in design view from the additional tools list in the toolbox we get a message that says the OLE server isn't registered.

So I need to figure out

1) how to get the OLE server registered (unregistered first I suppose) and see if that is somehow hosing the file open dialog box
2) figure out if there's a problem with comdlg32.dll
3) see if I can determine why this app suddenly went south so that it doesn't happen at one of his customer sites.

He's using Access 2000 SP-3 but also fails in AXP.  The app fails on both W2K and WXP.  He's pretty careful about virus scanning.  I don't think it is a virus even though it behaves like one.  Is it possible that it got hosed by an automatic windows update?

Any clue as to what's going on here would be greatly appreciated.

MTIA,

Rocky Smolin
Beach Access Software
http://www.e-z-mrp.com