[dba-Tech] Chkdsk on startup

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 08:27:55 CST 2005

Dear Group,

A few weeks ago, my old workstation (667 MHz, Windows XP Pro w/ SP-2,
384 MB RAM) decided that one of the 3 hard disks was iffy and ran
scandisk and chkdsk right after the the blue Windows progress bar goes
away. I have since run Gibson Research's SpinRite 6 on it three times
(fine product, by the way) without finding anything untoward. My
question is, how do I turn off the automatic scandisk/chkdsk
combination? I can press the space bar to skip the disk checking, but
where do I look to disable the automatic checking? Is it a Service?

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI