[dba-Tech] C++ to vb.net conversion

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Wed Mar 2 14:17:38 CST 2005

<<<
> by Richard Mansfield
> http://www.devx.com/DevX/Article/26776

Marty,

This article is a non-sense for experienced OO programmer/designer...
You know that for sure.
Why did you post this link here? :)

<<<
A frequent argument for OOP is it helps with code reusability,

Wrong. Code reusability isn't the main attribute of OOP &D....
Every experienced OO programmer knows that.
"The point of OOP is not reusability, although it's a side-benefit. The
point is that it's a good way of factoring the functionality of an
application." (http://www.ftponline.com/discuss/forum.aspx?id=23&msg_id=634)

<<<
Why does OOP generate problems it must then deal with later?

I'd say procedural programming generates a WAY more problems than OOP...

<<<
But it got its major boost during the paradigm shift from DOS to Windows.

Wrong. As far as I see main OOP research & development done in non-Windows
environments.
This is just several years ago that MS "got it at last" and started to
widely promote OOP on MS Windows platform (.NET Framework of course). But
this is usual MS practice: they wait until a tool, a technology, a
knowledge, a methodology got matured and widely approved and then they buy,
adapt, extend,....it - so IMO the fact that MS is (successfully) trying to
get leading positions in OOP world is an additional approval that OOP is a
way to go... (of course MS "haters" and procedural programming amateurs will
try to prove the opposite :))

<<<
Nearly three decades ago the Basic language was introduced as a teaching
tool-a way to teach programming to college students. Because its primary
goal is clarity, Basic employed a diction, punctuation, and syntax that were
as similar to English as possible.

There is no Basic anymore you know - there is VB.NET.
Students are teached Java, C++, C#, VB.NET  - no Basic anymore  (Of course I
continue to use VBA/VB6 because of my customers' requests but this is a
"dead-end" in long run...)

<<<
Efficiency is the goal of OOP, but the result is too often the opposite.

Wrong. That's clear that "there is no free cheese...." - for the power of
OOP one pays by degraded performance, which in most of the cases can be
neglected. When it can't be neglected then they use procedural
programming(C) or assembler....

<<<
At this point, it's difficult to predict whether OOP will fade rapidly like
some intellectual fads or persist like the long, bad dream of
Aristotelianism

OOP is today's the only real and efficient way to develop getting more and
more complicated real-life applications...
Something new may arise but then it promise to be something extra-terrestal
because OOP is a natural way of modeling and developing this world
businesses and activities....

<<<
To me, hope resides in the computer itself, not us foolish humans. I expect
the machine to eventually be capable of interpreting human instructions in
human languages.

I think they will never get that capability without advanced tomorrow
computers and programs, designed and developed using OOP best practices...

Just my two rubles...

Shamil

P.S. I have just found this article:
http://www.devx.com/opinion/Article/27020 - "OOP Is Best in Practice
In a rebuttal to Richard Mansfield's editorial "OOP Is Much Better in Theory
Than in Practice", Dave Herren says Mansfield's arguments against OOP are
based on outdated teachings and false notions. Yet he believes there's still
hope for him. "

--
Web: http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/shamil_s