[dba-Tech] Firefox not finding web site first try

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Mar 7 10:05:14 CST 2005

Nope.  I have spybot and Adaware running on my laptop (which is where I
usually work, and am seeing this problem) and ran them last week.  Nothing
there (I use Firefox after all).  Furthermore it is happening on "all of" my
computers, at least I have documented it on several others.  I also have NU
running on ALL the computers.  I have Sygate personal firewall on the laptop
and a couple of others that demonstrate this problem.

I shut off every computer in the house, unplugged all of the routers as well
as the Vonage modem and the cable modem.  Brought them all back up in
sequence.  The problem still exists.

It looks like a timing issue of some sort, like FF is timing out just before
the data comes back or something.  Again, there are certain sites that it
NEVER happens on (the big sites - MSNBC etc).  I do a lot of research on
things that interest me such as bypass oil filters, SIP panel homes etc.
This means I am hitting servers for smallish sites and these seem to have
the problem more than others.  However again, if I just immediately hit the
web site a second time the info pops up as if it was sitting in the queue.
EVERY time this happens, the info is just right there the second time.

If I was a conspiracy nut I'd say M$ tweaked a registry setting for firefox
in one if their "automatic updates" to make it behave badly.  ;-)

I have been using FF for months now with NO problems.  I found a "tweak"
system that adjusts the settings that made it even faster.  It was just
awesome, then suddenly about two weeks ago I'm having to ask for pages
twice.  Not occasionally, DOZENS of times a day (no, I don't surf much).
Some of these are sites I frequent (information list sites) and they too are
having this problem.  Once I get to the main page I can generally surf the
sub pages with no problem it is just that "initial lookup".

Most strange.

http://folding.stanford.edu/