[dba-Tech] Access Performance on a WAN

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Mon Mar 7 14:03:35 CST 2005

Bare in mind that that speed is not fully available to your app.
If they have the need for that kind of WAN speed, this means that they
probably already consume a lot of that speed for other reasons  (VoIP is
one example).

Your speed will be effected by other applications that are used.

A WAN connection has also some overhead depending on the protocols they
use, so the bandwith is not fully available for real data. This depends
on the WAN protocol used, can be up to 10% depending on the situation.

Further more if they use QoS able protocol (Frame Relay/ATM) some other
apps can have priority over yours, posibly terminating your connections.
Like for VoIP.

Is this a Leased Line?

Some people believe they have a high speed connection with for example
ADSL or cable.
This is not fully true. The upstream speed is often very much limited.

Me personaly I would not use an MDB as a backend over a WAN line. Too
sensible for corruptions.

Erwin