[dba-Tech] OT: looking for SMTP relay server solution in Spain

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Mar 15 12:29:30 CST 2005

Hi Erwin

ISPs do what they like to do ...

One option would be to bring his own SMTP server. An old Pentium machine with Mercury/32 will do:

  http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercury.htm

Or get an account at Novell's MyRealBox:

  http://www.myrealbox.com

Example:

Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:20:31 +0100
From: Cactus Data <cactus at cactus.dk>
To: gustav at cactus.dk
Subject: æøå

/gustav

>>> Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be 15-03-2005 14:44:33 >>>
I seem to tumbled into a unusual situation

A Belgian customer of mine is starting a Company in Spain and will be
living there in 6 months or so.

During that period he will use two ADSL intenet connections. One in
Belgium one in Spain.
I adviced him to use a .COM domain which forwards his mail to the POP
mailbox at his provider in Belgium.

So my intention was to leave the pop server as it is, but to let the
client change the relay SMTP server depending on the country he is in.

The problem is that the Telefonica Spain SMTP server refuses to relay
E-mail for which it has not the domain registred. At my knowledge this
is very unusual because normaly an ISP only verifies if the user is on
the provider network.

I've been told there are free SMTP servers out there, but I don't trust
that.
Any other solution or paid SMTP servers?