[dba-Tech] OnSpeed

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Thu Mar 17 04:01:04 CST 2005

I was a unbeliever first, because they use compression, and compression
is a two side  (sender/receiver) technique.

After reading the "how it works" section I understood the technique they
use.
Technicaly it works, but I have some questions about it.

Basicly it work like this.

The user requests a webpage.
Instead of getting the page from the actual webserver, it sends a
request via prot 7000 to the compression server of Onspeed.
The Onspeed compression server then collects the page from the original
webserver, compresses it.
Then the user donwnloads the compressed page from the Onspeed server.

These are my remarks.

Negative:
1) Time is lost because you add an addtional transaction in requestion
the webpage.
2) Time is lost because it needs compression at onstream server
3) Time is lost bcause it needs decompressing at user side.
4) The overall internet gets more saturated (slower) because 1 file is
send TWICE over the internet (1x uncompressed, 1x compressed and some
communication overhead).
5) Compression is already more and more build in to webservers (IIS6)
and webbrowsers. This would mainly work on older or non compressing
supporting systems.
6) Privacy, altough they claim that no spyware is installed, and this is
probably true because they don't need it. Because every webpage and
E-mail you see is requested at the onspeed server. They know EXACTLY
what webpages you visite by the second, because you always get the
webpage from onspeed, nver from the real webserver!!!
7) What guarante you have the pages are not changed when delivering to
you.
Who says that an add from x is not replaced by an ad of y???
8) They will need VERY SPEEDY SERVER and VERY HIGH bandwith because with
this effect you create 1 single bottleneck....
9) This technique is compleetly pointless in a matter of time and has
only his advantage as long as not all webservers have build in
compression.
10) Will a 2K webpage really be THAT much faster over a broadband
connection with al that overhead?
11) Compresion on picturs will probably result in a lower but
unnoticable quality.

Positive:
1) Most webpages are a lot of text so higly compressible. >>>SPEED
2) There are a lot JPG out there that are badly compressed.>>>SPEED
3) Posibly the delay caused by the rerouting and compress/decompress is
smaller than the delay caused by the original download.>>>SPEED
4) Posibly a good solution for low speed dial up/GPRS connections.
However dial up modems have build in (sometimes hardware) compression.
Off-line compression is better than on-line(modem) compression but the
profit is not that much..

Erwin