[dba-Tech] Something I just learned

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 16:56:18 CST 2005

I had been wondering how to insert Unicode characters into a document.
There's a nifty web site (
http://www.visibone.com/htmlref/char/cer.htm ) that shows the HTML
numeric codes for the entire Unicode set. I then went into Microsoft
Word 2003 and found that if you know the hexadecimal number for a
Unicode character (265B, for example) then all you have to do is type
that number and press Alt-X, and the number will be converted to the
Unicode character, in this case, a Black chess Queen.

There's also the entire Unicode set in Word under Insert | Symbol. The
Symbols tab has a Font list. I picked the Arial Unicode MS font. There
is another drop down list with "subsets" of the Unicode list. So you
could jump to Miscellaneous Dingbats and locate the Black Chess Queen
that way.

The Alt-X shortcut works in Word, WordPad, and Windows Messenger, but
not in Access.

--
Regards,

Steve Erbach