[dba-Tech] Windows XP Search

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 19:33:54 CST 2005

Dear Group,

Had an odd thing happen today. I've been working on learning ASP to
help out a client of mine. She wants a few small customizations to
this huge application -- just under 800 ASP pages.

I wanted to determine which of the ASP pages contained a reference to
a field in one of her SQL Server tables; so I thought I'd use good old
Windows XP Search to find the word "editoremail" in any of the ASP
files. The files are in a folder under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot on my
workstation. I've got IIS and SQL Server installed on it.

Anyway, I know for a fact that that field name is contained in two of
the ASP files in one particular folder. I set Windows Search
going...but it returned only ONE file, and it wasn't even one of the
two I knew about. I couldn't figure out why Search would not find that
field name. I even tried searching for "editormail" including the
quotes since that's how it appears when it's referenced in the ASP
code:

HoldCC = rse("EditorEmail")

I tried using proper capitalization of the word, too. No dice. Search
came back with a completely different ASP file. It's funny, too,
because the file it found is in the same folder as the other two ASP
files.

So I thought I'd try Yahoo Desktop Search. I installed it and waited
the half hour or so it took to index my files. But then I found out
that it doesn't do full text searches! It just looks for file names.
Uninstalled that puppy.

Then I tried Google Desktop Search. That claims to be full text. Well,
after it indexed everything, it didn't find a single instance of that
field name either! Uninstalled it.

What's going on here? Any ideas? I mean, ASP files are just plain old
text. I'm baffled.

--
Regards,

Steve Erbach