[dba-Tech] Formatting diskettes

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Mon May 9 09:59:10 CDT 2005

Tina, Gustav, Erwin, John,

I opened up DOS windows on three of my office machines. Three
different diskettes. I tried DIR A: on each one and got the same
message:

The floppy disk controller reported an error that is not recognized by
the floppy disk driver

I then went ahead on my main w/s with FORMAT A:. After the normal
prompt to insert a new disk in A:, I got this:

The type of the file system is RAW.
The new file system is FAT.
Verifying 1.44M
Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES
TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a
dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

I have NEVER seen this message before. I typed in Y and pressed Enter
and saw this:

Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

I got this series of two messages on all three of my workstations.
Sheesh! Does this provide any additional clues?

On 5/9/05, Tina Norris Fields <tinanfields at torchlake.com> wrote:
> All, It sure sounds to me like a diskette pulled out of a drive while there was an open file.  We used to be able to do that is DOS with impunity, but Windows really gets upset about it.  Have you tried formatting the disk from DOS?  If that doesn't work, I would toss the disk.

Tina