[dba-Tech] Formatting diskettes

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Mon May 9 13:16:25 CDT 2005

Gary, Steve, and everybody,

That's wonderful!  I don't remember using the /x switch before, but I
sure will remember it for the future.  The earl.ier times I have had
similar problems were as I mentioned above - a file on the disk was left
open and the disk removed.  A friend of mine saved all his data in Excel
spreadsheets, and worried about using up too much hard drive space, he
always saved to a diskette instead of to the hard drive.  One day after
he had made new calculations and saved his file, he took the disk out of
the drive without closing the file or the program.  Then he closed the
program.  The next time he wanted to use his diskette he couldn't - he
had to reconstruct his entire spreadsheet from scratch.  Next, he tried
to format the disk and got the same sort of nasty messages we've been
talking about.

Thanks for sharing the information about anti-virus programs holding
onto disks they find in the drive - and the /x switch!!!

Have a great day,
Tina