[dba-Tech] Wiping ALL data from a hard drive

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Wed May 25 10:41:21 CDT 2005

Hi Jeff

You need a pro tool for this, like this Linux boot diskette with the
excellent:

 Darik's Boot and Nuke
  Warning: This software irrecoverably destroys data.

  http://dban.sourceforge.net/

  * Press the F2 key to learn about DBAN
  * Press the F3 key for a list of quick commands.
  * Press the ENTER key to start DBAN in interactive mode.
  * Enter autonuke at this prompt to start DBAN in automatic mode.

  You may enter these commands at the boot prompt. In each case, all
disks in
  the computer will be wiped automatically without confirmation.

   dod       Wipe all disks with the DoD 5220-22.M method.
   ops2      Wipe all disks with the RCMP TSSIT OPS-II method.
   gutmann   Wipe all disks with the Gutmann method.
   prng      Wipe all disks with the PRNG Stream method.
   quick     Wipe all disks with the Quick Erase method.

Please note, these methods can take a _very_ long time.

/gustav

>>> Jeff at outbaktech.com 05/25 5:23 pm >>>
I am looking for a quick, easy, inexpensive way to wipe ALL data from a
hard drive.  A local non-profit business has recently replaced their
hardware and wants to be sure that their data on the old machines is not
retrievable by anyone before they dispose of them.  I could format each
hard drive, but I was wondering if anyone here had a better idea.

TIA

Jeff Barrows
MCP, MCAD, MCSD

Outbak Technologies, LLC