[dba-Tech] Antivirus Software - Who do we like, who do we not like?

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed May 25 11:00:17 CDT 2005

On 5/25/05, Jon Tydda <Jon.Tydda at alcontrol.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a fully licenced copy of McAfee VirusScan 9, run in conjunction with
> ZoneAlarm Pro. I like McAfee's anti virus products, I don't like their
> firewall. ZoneAlarm has no issues with McAfee anymore, they fixed that
> within two days of discovering the compatibility problem. I've been using
> McAfee for 8 years with no problems. I periodically check out my pc with
> Panda online scan, just to be on the safe side, and it always comes up
> blank. I'd be perfectly hapy to recommend McAfee. But make sure you just buy
> the virusscan, and not the firewall too.

I use McAfee 8 Corp  here at work and my biggest gripe is that even
tho I have a "full local drives" scan every night... it still fails to
find certain trojans that make their way onto my pc.  If not for dirms
defragmenting my hdd once a month I'd never would have thought I had
any infections on this pc.

At home I used to use TrendMicro 2003, but when I was hit w/ the
Upgrade to 2005 edition I quit on them simply because I hate the
whole.. upgrade now plus you can have anti-spam anti-spyware etc..

I want antivirus protection... I have my own FW thank you.. why can't
I just by a GOOD a/v.  Trend micro was good at scanning every file on
my hdd, but could not scan inside .rar files or my thunderbird mail
(unless it was open).

I recently switched to NOD32.. and I do love it.. it's FAST.. it does
A/V only (tho the new 2.5 also does spyware i'm told. since I just
bought a license the upgrade is free).  I like knowing that if I
request a "FULL LOCAL DISKS" scan it actually does it.. unlike mcafee.
 McAfee is also a resource hog.  I'm now testing a NOD32 corp for the
office and my DELL 1.6ghz machine running on 512 runs SOOO FAST it's
not even funny, it caught some trojans that mcAfee never could clean
(just left in quaranteen). I have found my scan times are quicker, and
more accurate from NOD32.  When the 30day trial I'm supposed to give a
full report to our main sysadmin guy who will be pushing towards a
diffrent product (other than mcAfee).

The only thing bad about NOD32 is that you can't run google desktop
search, it has an incompatibility w/ the Internet monitor.  that's it.
--
-Francisco
http://pcthis.blogspot.com |PC news with out the jargon!