[dba-Tech] Wiping ALL data from a hard drive

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Wed May 25 12:58:24 CDT 2005

Of course you are correct that in the most extreme examples of want/need
data can be recovered from most damaged media however, he did state quick,
easy, inexpensive. If you hit it good it damages all the platters. I've
taken them apart to check. (There used to be a web site on this that some
joker put up.) And once you have it out you certainly aren't going to put it
back in! If recycling this for another user then smacking is not a very good
idea - as the hard drive won't work :o)))

>From my experience running a wipe program takes a couple of hours to run.
That's not quick and what's the point if its just going to be discarded?

John B.