[dba-Tech] 64-bit chips

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 17:23:02 CDT 2005

On 10/2/05, Arthur Fuller <artful at rogers.com> wrote:
> I would guess that one cannot upgrade a 32-bit motherboard with a 64-bit
> chip. This would imply that I demote my existing 32-bit boxes to
> mail-server, ftp-server and such, and replace them on the development stage
> with authentic ground-up 64-bit boxes. Is this correct, or is there any
> point in attempting to salvage and re-use old hardware....
> TIA,
> Arthur

Correct. On the AMD side, 64-bit processors use a different socket
type than the 32-bits.

Now, as far as development goes, there's nothing to say you can't
develop on a 32-bit and use it on a 64-bit or vice versa.

As a side note, you don't need a new version of Windows. XP Home works
with 1 64-bit processor, and XP Pro works with 2 64bit processors. It
treats each as if it was "Hyper-threading" enabled, and allows you
specify which logical processor you want to run processes / threads
on.

There's no real new schema increase other than the socket type (and
PCI Express on some boards) so other than that the old hardware should
be reusable.

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein