[dba-Tech] Redirect to GMail

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 3 23:15:38 CDT 2005

Josh McFarlane wrote:

/>People sell ways to increase your page-rank based on conforming to
 >google's searching standards and through use of search tools such as
 >meta tags (things you could easily learn yourself but eh, people are
 >lazy.) Google itself does not sell these ways.
/
Follow the money. Some of that cash goes back to Google, doesn't it?

/>Do you think that none of the other companies on the internet do this?/

/>Everywhere you visit logs your associations and other things to tailor
 >for the DB. Advertisers don't mine that DB, Google lets advertisers
 >pick Keywords for their adds to show up on.
/
The question concerned email, not surfing. I'd use such a company for
email only in an emergency & preferably not at all.

/>You don't think that Rogers wouldn't be forced to also show email
 >records from the server if asked by a court of law? That's a little
odd...
 >I thought everyone had to follow the legal system. Guess Google's
 >one of those bad guys that obeys the law. Can't let the man get us. /

That misses the pont entirely. Trust of due process in western
democracies is arguably rational. But Google operates worldwide. Do you
trust due process in China, Nigeria, Iran?

<unapt rhetoric snipped>

PB