[dba-Tech] Microsoft targets Adobe with PDF rival

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:27:34 CST 2005

On 10/31/05, John Bartow <john at winhaven.net> wrote:
> I believe you are correct. An eastern state, Mass. Perhaps?

Yes, that appears to be it. Here's a link to one story on it:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/09/12/37OPopenent_1.html

Personally, I think they're afraid that others are going to wise up
and also change to a non-proprietary format, and that this new format
is what they are hoping will customers to come back to office, while
at the same time giving them the illusion they are getting the
open-source format that they want.

For some reason, this quote from the article you posted amused me:
"Microsoft has concluded that it cannot leave it in control of an
outside company."

They want to be the one with the jump on things so they can be one
step ahead of everyone else, and not trying to play catch-up on equal
footing with everyone else in dealing with a unified format. Like you,
unless they have something very spiffy behind it, I don't think it's
going to pick up weight. Why deal with a format from a company that
doesn't care about standards when you could pick up a more widely
accepted and universal format that offers the same with more
stability?

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein